Wednesday, August 13, 2008

how to discipline an almost 2 yr old??


Don't let this sweet darling little face fool you.... This 23 month old knows how to fight. :) I remember taking her for her 6 month checkup, and her throwing a full blown temper tantrum right there in front of the doctors and nurses. I had never experienced that before with Ali or William, and I had no clue what to do! The dr just laughed and said, "typical redhead". Ohh my... And as she gets older, it seems that every day she is testing more and more limits. She seems so young to be pushing the buttons now!! How can I discipline on this?? She screams, she throws herself to the floor, she yells NO at us and her brother and sister, she drops her things of the floor and screams "git it".... When strangers or other little kids walk up to her or around her, she'll point at them and yell NO.... Some days I feel like I'm at my wits end, because obviously reasoning isn't working! haa.... I mean, some days it can seem a bit funny, her strong will .... but most of the time it's difficult and sometimes embarrasing. Soooooooo.... what to do? I continue to pray for guidance and wisdom and just the ability to give my kids what they need... But sometimes I feel like I am so lacking in this department! Phew.... Oh Lord, let this just be a stage!!! Just a stage!!! ha haaa haaaa
As Becky Blackwell says: "This too shall pass!"

11 comments:

Kristen said...

Boy do I know these struggles...although Kaylee is a little younger she is very, very smart and strong willed and I am trying to figure out the best way to discipline her...hard...I mean, you tell her no and she sometimes spanks herself and then laughs! What to do?

Emily said...

I'm so glad I have your blog to read now to find out how you're doing! I miss seeing you guys. :( Anyway, I added you as a link on my blog... hope it's okay!

Brittany said...

Dr. Dobson has written "The New Strong Willed Child" so that might be a good place to start. Of all my mother's 7 kids I was the only strong willed one. In fact, I once sang "Jesus Loves Me" while being spanked!

Blackwell said...

ohh my gosh Brittany... I laughed out loud for a few minutes on that one!! HAAA HAA... ohh my

Kristy said...

Oh Sarah. I feel your pain. I have one of those, too. She leaves us completely stumped sometimes as how best to discipline her. At least once a day I need to go out on my deck and just scream I am so frustrated....hahaha. I think I am going to pick up that book Brittany suggested.

On a different note, that pic is adorable. She is cute as a button so that has to count for something, huh?!?!? :)

PS. I too burst out laughing at Brittany's confession. That is HILARIOUS! (Poor Aaron is trying to sleep and I am laughin like a hyena). That may be one of the best stories I have ever heard...hahahah.

Lindsay said...

I have no words of advice.. if Sammy doesnt get his way he will scream ow, but so far that is only at home.. I hope we can nip this in the bud before it gets worse :-P

Beth said...

But she just looks so angelic? :) What will this 4th one bring to the table?
Brittany - you do crack me up. I had to laugh at that too. What in the world did your parents think!

Life as a King said...

OMG...As if I wrote this blog myself! If there was just a happy medium on encouraging them to be strong willed (it is a good attribute) but obedient at the same time. God only knows (know really, I've looked online and in books for help on this one and there's not too much info that I can say Hallelujah there's my answer) but it is a phase, right? We should just let London and Julianna be in a room for awhile together and let them get out all there frustrations on each other (JK). I don't know the answer...still trying to figure this one out myself. I'll let you know if a revelation come along!

Brittany said...

Hey girls! And the really scary thing is that is just the tip of the iceberg.(My younger sister learned how to climb on top of the fridge to get away from me.)I can't believe my parents were crazy enough to have 4 more after me!!!!

Davene said...

Sarah, I think all of us moms can relate to your frustration! We're all in the same boat. :)

Besides the Dobson book which I think is great, I've also learned from the book "To Train Up a Child" by Michael and Debi Pearl. I don't agree with them 100 percent on everything they say, but they have LOTS of wisdom. Another one I'm diving into now is "Have a New Kid by Friday" by Dr. Kevin Leman. I've read other books by him and been very impressed.

I'm proud of you for wanting to work on helping form her character now; it's really not too early at all. Like you said, sometimes it's funny...but really, as moms, we know that our kids go over the line many times, and then it's not so funny. Thanks for your honesty.

pyrotechny said...

Good girl! You are doing great! Just keep it up...be consistent, and realize that your character is being formed too. I remember carrying one through the mall screaming and kicking when I ws 8 months pregnant! Believe me,people around you are GLAD! I've gotten words of praise and encouragement from strangers before.