Wednesday, December 24, 2008

January 14th 2002 - Ali's birth

I was due to have Ali on January 8th, 2002. The 8th came and went... then then 9th... then the 10th... On the 11th, around noon, I started having really strong contractions. Being that it was my first birth, I hadn't really experienced any braxton hicks, so when I felt the first contraction, I knew it was coming... But they were so sporatic, I couldn't really monitor them. We called the doctor and she said to wait it out. Night came, I hardly slept, contracting all night long... January 12th... Contractions continued, but nothing regular... (knowing what I do now, I'm assuming these were braxton hicks, but they were really really strong!)... I called some of my friends and told them I was in labor... made sure everything was packed and ready to go. My Aunt Lynn (she was a labor and delivery nurse for many years) was there, and she and mom were going crazy!! :) It was so funny! Night came, didn't hardly sleep a wink, contracting all night long.... January 13th... Contractions were coming... stronger and stronger, so we started keeping track. They were about 7 minutes apart the ENITRE day! I thought it would never end... and I was SO exhausted! We walked, and walked... we rested... we walked... I counted minutes... Night came... couldn't sleep at all, contractions were too strong. January 14th... Around 1 or so in the morning, Aunt Lynn was sleeping on the downstairs bed, Dad was sleeping on the couch, Mom was sleeping on her bed... I remember being really frustrated because everyone was sleeping but me. :) I lied down next to Mom and about dozed off when all of a sudden I was HIT by this massively strong contraction. I remember I felt nearly paralyzed! That's when I knew, we had to leave! I woke everyone up and we left almost immediately for the hospital. We checked in and monitored the baby... everything looked good. It was about 2am. I had the BEST midwife! Being that it was my first pregnancy, I didn't know what to expect, all I knew was that I was EXHAUSTED!! I was contracting pretty hard, and regular... but was still being quite modest and keeping myself covered .... then at one point, I had the strongest contraction, and I remember just dropping my robe.... at that moment in time, I didn't care who walked in the room... All modesty went out the window!! haa haaa... I got in the tub... I layed on the bed... I walked around... Then at one point they gave me something to help me sleep during the contractions... So I would doze off then wake up to intense pain, then doze off again. It was weird... Aunt Lynn thought she had videotaped almost the entire thing, then Mom told her that she didn't have it turned on!! HAAA... Oh my gosh... Those 2 women were hysterical! I don't remember much of them being there to be honest, but the stories they tell are laugh out loud funny!!! Then transition... ohhh lovely transition stage.... so intense! But it always leads to pushing... When I was fully dialed it was about 6:40 am.... I pushed for about 30 minutes and Alexandria Lee was born at 7 something AM! She was 7lbs 11 oz, and 19 3/4 inches... I was so happy to see her, but was beyond tired!! In most of the pictures I can't barely keep my eyes open! I just remember the overwhelming flood of emotions and love... but also I had so much uncertainty about what to do with her. One of the nurses there helped me to figure out breastfeeding, and I was just so dumbfounded by it all! Overall, it was a simple birthing experience, just really really long early labor!!! What a joy to be able to bring a little person into the world! An amazing experience... my very first baby! So strong and opinionated, but so eager to please!!!

********************************************

Add-on from Aunt Lynn:

YES, THIS IS THE FAMOUS AUNT LYNN! IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL EXPERIENCE. SARAH NEVER UTTERED A WORD BUT HER MOM AND I SURE WERE TALKING AND SIGNALING EACH OTHER WITH OUR EYES, ELLEN WAS SCARED FOR ME TO LEAVE THE ROOM FOR EVEN A MINUTE. (I AM A LABOR AND DELIVERY NURSE) I PROBABLY STILL HAVE BURR HOLES IN MY BACK FOR THAT TIME I HAD THE NERVE TO THINK I COULD EVEN GO TO THE BATHROOM. AS FOR THE VIDEO IT WAS SUCH A WONDERFUL PIECE OF WORK, I IN MY BEST VIDEO VOICE AND SURE TO GET A NOMINATION FROM SOME FILM COMPANY WAS GIVING A RUNNING NARRATIVE OF THE ENTIRE BIRTH PROCESS, ONLY TO BE INFORMED BY MY SISTER WITH HER BLAZING RED EYES THAT THE CAMERA WAS NOT EVEN TURNED ON!!!!!! SUCH DRAMA BUT OUR BEAUTIFUL ALI WAS WELCOMED TO THE WORLD WITH SO MUCH LOVE......

3 comments:

Unknown said...

YES, THIS IS THE FAMOUS AUNT LYNN! IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL EXPERIENCE. SARAH NEVER UTTERED A WORD BUT HER MOM AND I SURE WERE TALKING AND SIGNALING EACH OTHER WITH OUR EYES, ELLEN WAS SCARED FOR ME TO LEAVE THE ROOM FOR EVEN A MINUTE.( I AM A lABOR AND dELIVERY NURSE) I PROBABLY STILL HAVE BURR HOLES IN MY BACK FOR THAT TIME I HAD THE NERVE TO THINK I COULD EVEN GO TO THE BATHROOM. AS FOR THE VIDEO IT WAS SUCH A WONDERFUL PIECE OF WORK ,I IN MY BEST VIDEO VOICE AND SURE TO GET A NOMINATION FROM SOME FILM COMPANY WAS GAVE A RUNNING NARRATIVE OF THE ENTIRE BIRTH PROCESS, ONLY TO BE INFORMED BY MY SISTER WITH HER BLAZING RED EYES THAT THE CAMERA WAS NOT EVEN TURNED ON!!!!!!,SUCH DRAMA BUT OUR BEAUTIFUL ALI WAS WELCOMED TO THE WORLD WITH SO MUCH LOVE......

Blackwell said...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!
Ohh... perfect!!!!!!

Davene said...

This is hilarious! But oh my, I feel for you with that long, long early labor and lack of sleep in the preceding days. I'm sure little Luke will come much quicker!

Every birth story is so precious though, and I never ever get tired of hearing them!!!