Saturday, March 21, 2009

my sick boys

Here are my boys.. in a much healthier state:


Yet... lately they haven't been doing too well. It all started a few weeks ago with William's cough. Just a little cough... then progressed into a constant cough, with an occasional fever, and him saying his tummy hurts. So we're doing vicks and using a humidifier... just trying to love him better :)

Then it started with Luke. (who is now 2 months old). He has had a cough for about 2 weeks.. Then on thursday I started noticing that it sounded different. By friday, he was having bad coughing fits (the kind that catch you off guard and rush to see if he's breathing type of coughs), so I thought we'd take him to the dr just to check. We went and the dr heard him cough once and knew exactly what it was! RSV! My gosh, my jaw nearly dropped to the floor.

For those that don't know:
"Respiratory Syncytial Virus infections can range from having a simple clear runny nose and occasional cough that can be treated at home, to severe difficulty breathing that may require hospitalization. Other symptoms might include a low-grade fever, sore throat, headache, and irritability. Younger children, especially those under 2 or 3 years old, are most at risk for more severe symptoms, such as high fever, wheezing, difficulty breathing, a persistent cough, or apnea."

Our little Lukie duke has RSV which caused bronchiolitis. Bless his heart. AND to top it off, because he didn't have enough already, he had an ear infection! So.. as of today, he is on antibiotics for his ear, and on an allergy medicine to help open his airways so he can breathe. Needless to say, I am checking on him every single time he coughs. He's had a light fever since last night, and his coughs just sound horrible. The dr. checked his oxygen levels and said they were ok.. so we are to just watch him and bring him back in on monday to check him again.

I've never had a child with RSV, and I tell you what... it's not fun! You can't just give him medicine and expect him to get better... it's a waiting game... and I DON'T like waiting games.

So, we wait. To see if he improves, or if he gets worse. We're just praying that it gets better and his cough just stops!

6 comments:

Beth said...

I'll be praying for you! I am so sorry to hear that. Scary for you I'm sure!

pyrotechny said...

I will be praying for you too! My youngest was about that age when I took him in to the dr one morning, cause something just didn't seem right...after a spinal tap, I was to take him directly to the hospital! But it was only RSV...which, like you said, is scary enough! Lord, keep that boy safe!

Kristy said...

Poor Luke! RSV is no fun. Maddie got it when she was 3 months old and was in the hospital for a week! Ugh. Will be praying for a quick recovery for baby Luke!

Anonymous said...

oooo poor Luke! I will be praying for a speedy recovery. Sammy had that this year it was rough.. basically the same diagnosis but a double ear infection. It is a rough disease!

Elizabeth said...

It is so rampant right now...a lot of little ones have it. I'm sorry you all are having to deal with it, too. If you need anything, just yell!

Sarah Lemn said...

We will be saying our prayers. Mackenzie had this at the end of December. It also turned into bronchiolitis with ear infections, then ours turned to Pneumonia. We had lots of meds and breathing treatments. I know it's not fun and it feels like that cough will never go away. Hope the boys feel better soon!