Today, my 6 year old daughter Ali, came home from school and said they were learning about voting and mentioned, by name, John McCain and Barak Obama. That right there, shocked me a bit.. but then she went on to tell me something one of her schoolmates told her about McCain. (Which was completely a 6 year old version of something that girl heard from her parents.)
Then she states... "If I could vote I'd vote for John McCain because everyone talks bad about him and I want to make him feel better."
I just don't know how to feel about a 1st grader discussing politics ...
I tried to give a little lecture on how we shouldn't talk about people we don't know, and during this time of the year grown ups are voting on their new president and everyone has different beliefs and that is ok, but that you need to find the truth in what you say, and not just rely on gossip you hear from others..... yada yada yada...
Ali being in public school has brought up on a WHOLE NEW parenting aspect... and sometimes I'm just not sure if I have the wisdom to give her all the right answers... Lord help me!!
____________________________________________
for record - here is the letter I'm sending to school with Ali tomorrow:
Mrs. **,
As I’m sure you understand it’s difficult as a parent to send your child off to school when you aren’t there to supervise what they hear and learn. Ali has mentioned that your class is learning about voting. I think it’s a wonderful idea for our students/children to learn about the government and our judicial system. I am curious to know what is being taught during this time. Today Ali spoke about Barak Obama and John McCain by name, and told me a few things she had heard about one of the candidates. We really try as a family to pursue kindness and not to gossip. So, even though we are in an election period where we are surrounded by negative talk, negative news, gossip, and etc… We really enforce that our children, including ourselves, learn and make decisions in life based on truth and not what others tell us.
Having said that, I just want to make sure that while you, [the school], discuss “politics” in class, that the discussions are equally based and not focused on the candidates at large, but on the election process or the importance of the job as president of the United States of America.
I want Ali to have the deepest respect for both candidates as well as for the position of president.
I appreciate your help with this matter,
3 comments:
Sara, I can so relate! We have faced the exact same things. I hate that things always get so down and dirty and its sad that even the kids are just repeating what they hear. Sounds like you did an awesome job explaining things and sending a well-written letter.
I need to send you a link. :) We talk some with our kiddos about it...but not in depth, yet they were in the backyard (for Pete's sake) having a discussion with the neighbor kids about who's voting for who.
sigh.
And after you listen to the link you'll hope that your kids are WAY more enlightened than these folks...
I am curious to know what the teacher says in response. Very well written letter.
Post a Comment